"The training sessions and matches organised by Cricket for Change have been enormously beneficial to our son's physical and emotional development. This has meant that, as parents, we have seen fantastic changes in his ability, confidence and independence."
Sam's story with 'Street Team'
Below we hear from, Sam Akokhia, (taking part in some coaching in the picture above, on the right) who became involved with C4C when the charity delieverd a 'Street20' session in Portland prison (this interview was done in 2011).
He tells us what being involved with 'Street Team' and C4C means to him:
(1) Can you please introduce yourself?
Sam Akokhia and I am 21. I live in Thornton Heath and am a member of The 'C4C Street Team'
(2) How did you come to be involved with Cricket for Change?
C4C came to deliver a 'Street20' session in Portland prison as part of the 'Street Team' programme. I took part in this and enjoyed it. Adam Hall (a former C4C Development Manager) came to interview me for the street team after the session and I joined the team on release.
(3) What do you others think of your involvement with the C4C and ‘Street Team’?
I’m really happy with my involvement. I love the term “for change” as this is what I needed when I joined the team. What’s great is that you can design your own involvement, the more you get involved the more C4C support you and introduce you to new things.
(4) What do you enjoy most about working with Cricket for Change / 'Street Team'?
I enjoy working with the kids most. Seeing them smiling, playing, messing about. It’s the stuff outside the actual sports I like. It gives you a sense of responsibility, I love that.
(5) What difference has Cricket for Change and ‘Street Team’ made to your life?
It added routine to my life considering where I came from I needed it. It’s taught me how to go about my quest and goals to be an entrepreneurial community leader on a day to day basis.
(6) If you could sum up your Cricket for Change experiences in five words, what would they be?
Exciting, effective, unorthodox, deep and exceptional.